Assign one person to be the "Captain." The role of the Captain is call out the actions and dismiss the players who don't do the actions quick enough or who break from character. Once the captain calls an action, each player has 3-4 seconds to start performing the action. If they don't find a group fast enough or perform the right action, they are out of the game.
Here is an explanation of each of the actions...
- Captain's Coming!: Everyone stands at "attention" (in a salute), and they can’t move from this position until the caller says, "At Ease!" If they laugh or break from the attention, they are dismissed.
- Starboard: Players run to the right.
- Port: Players run to the left.
- Lighthouse: Two players partner up. Put their arms up and hands against each other, and rotate in a circle making the noise “beep beep beep beep” (or whatever you think a light house would sound like!)
- Man Overboard!: Three Players group up. Two hold hands, forming the side of the ship. One player leans “over the rail” (the other two’s arms) and pretends to look out for the lost shipmate.
- Life Boat: Four players sit on ground in a line and pretend to row a boat.
- Chow Time: Five players sit in a circle and pretend to eat.