Assign one person to be the "Captain." The role of the Captain is call out the actions and dismiss the players who don't do the actions quick enough or who break from character. Once the captain calls an action, each player has 3-4 seconds to start performing the action. If they don't find a group fast enough or perform the right action, they are out of the game.
Here is an explanation of each of the actions...
- Captain's Coming!: Everyone stands at "attention" (in a salute), and they can’t move from this position until the caller says, "At Ease!" If they laugh or break from the attention, they are dismissed.
- Starboard: Players run to the right.
- Port: Players run to the left.
- Lighthouse: Two players partner up. Put their arms up and hands against each other, and rotate in a circle making the noise “beep beep beep beep” (or whatever you think a light house would sound like!)
- Man Overboard!: Three Players group up. Two hold hands, forming the side of the ship. One player leans “over the rail” (the other two’s arms) and pretends to look out for the lost shipmate.
- Life Boat: Four players sit on ground in a line and pretend to row a boat.
- Chow Time: Five players sit in a circle and pretend to eat.
- Another version of this is called "Ships and Sailors".
The rules are mostly the same except different group names and such.
- Captain's Coming!: the same as above.
- Man Overboard: 2 players. One person gets down on all fours and the other puts on foot on their back and pretends to search for someone.
- Bunk Beds: 2 players. One person lays back down on the ground and holds up their arms. Second person puts their head by the other persons feet and uses their hands to support themselves. The first person grabs their legs and holds them up.
- 3 men rowing: 3 players. Get in a line and pretend to row a boat while singing "row row row your boat".
- 4 men pointing north: 4 players. All get into a circle and point up.
- 5 men eating: 5 players. Get in a circle and pretend to eat.
- Sea Sick: 1 player. Pretend to throw up.
- Beached Whale: 1 player. Lays on the ground while acting like a beached whale and making weird sounds.
- Ships: Run to the left.
- Sailors: Run to the right.
- Hit the deck- fall to the floor on your stomach